Tuesday, September 15, 2009

9 - Quick Review











The new computer-animated 9 was almost as good as my high expectations for it.

The aesthetics are gorgeous - and the concept is even better. In a dystopian future (my favorite movie genre), after a battle between AI and man, one of the last human survivors creates little rag dolls that go on after our world has ended.

They must band together to avoid being hunted and killed by a roaming "beast." Don't worry, I won't give any more of the plot away.

My favorite part about 9 is the realistic feel of it. The way the little dolls are constructed, down to the last detail, from bits and pieces their Creator could find, are ingenious. Their interactions with an over-sized world are more than appealing.

The execution of the story line is great as well. So what if the source material is a little bit ho-hum? Who cares that the characters are tip-toeing the line of cliche? My only serious gripe with the story line is the ending, which completely departs with the grounded attitude the plot embraced up to that point.

So - in summary - 9 is a spectacular concept kept out of the realm of greatness due to a mediocre story. I know I'm biased because 9 is aimed squarely at my interests - so take my "stars" with a grain of salt.

out of 5.


And here's the trailer - which by the way is fantastic in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment